Information relating to the Club membership
We wish to welcome all new members to our flying club to have some fun in their spare time.
If you are a competent pilot but do not hold a BMFA ‘A’ or ‘B’ Certificate, please contact us, as we have BMFA Instructors and Examiners and can arrange your flight test free of charge.
Members are required to hold their own BMFA membership and a current CAA Operator ID (drone registration). Guidance can be provided for paying these fees via the BMFA website Portal.
The flying of models over 7kg requires the pilot to hold a ‘B’ Certificate.
Free membership is available for juniors (up to age 18 years) and students in full time education. Students will need to show evidence of such. (Junior members need to accompanied on site by their parent/guardian)
Swindon Model Aero Club is an affiliated club of the British Model Flying Association (BMFA). The Committee enforces all the safety rules and guidelines required by the BMFA plus our own Code of Practice.
What do you get for your Membership Fee?
Your membership fee includes the following:
- Use of our private 220 metre long grass flying site
- A comfortable clubhouse with drinks facilities, telephone and toilets
- Secure car parking with vehicle access to the pits for unloading models
- Regular Club newsletters & email bulletins
- Club YouTube channel with videos of members flying on site
- Club Website with information, news and photo gallery
- Social nights with modelling and aero related talks
- Modelling workshops instructing on building, covering and setting up models
- Catered summer fun fly events
- Whatsapp groups for membership communication about meeting up to fly and social chat
- Online weather station links showing conditions on site
- FREE flying tuition/guidance to ‘A’ & ‘B’ Certificate level
- FREE examinations for BMFA ‘A’ & ‘B’ Certificates
- FREE flying assistance for older members who haven’t flown recently to regain their confidence
- Associate membership of the Vale of White Horse Gliding Club with reduced rates for full-size glider flights
How do I join?
Please contact the Membership Secretary for an application form:
All memberships are subject to Committee approval and a probation period.